Saturday, May 28, 2016

Making Contact with a Mental Health Advocates

A group of mental health advocates from my old Alma Matra (the one in the previous post) have organized themselves to fight the stigma of mental illness and help fund those mentally ill in need. Well, over a year ago I had contacted them when they first were starting out. I wanted to share my story with them, since that was their thing to get mentally ill people to share their stories and at the time I was just coming out of psychosis and trying to overcome the embarrassing videos I had made while psychotic. But something struck me wrong when I talked to one of them online. Mainly it seemed to me that these were young psychology students who were there to promote their profession and that they would take advantage of someone like me. So I broke off contact.

Anyway, in an attempt to find some extra activities for my spare time and because I wanted to work with mental health advocacy I decided to connect back with these guys. I contacted their head a few weeks back and I am going to attend their first meeting this coming Wednesday. I made it clear though that I do not wish to divulge my mental illness. I will try to see more closely what these guys do. They have so far set up a suicide hotline and made a few videos with people suffering from some more or less minor mental health issues. The most severe one was someone with bipolar disorder, a severe illness of course, but I am not sure if the guy was medicated or not.

Anyway will keep this blog up to date with what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment