Sunday, February 7, 2016

Delusions are not errors in thinking

I was reading a post on reddit about someone who had a psychotic experience very similar to mine and this got me thinking back about my psychosis. My psychoses have mostly been delusions of references fed by slight tactile hallucinations. What am I talking about?

Well I would be talking to people online or offline, and start thinking that when they say something they mean something else. That they are lying to me even in simple language. Then I start thinking that TV presenters are sending me special messages. It will then be by tactile hallucinations where I would feel like a drop of water fall on my hand or head and think it is a signal from God. Then a coincidence happen and I start thinking that it is another message.

Now once it was over when I take medication or through itself, I would be back to normal thinking. I would then start thinking that I made a mistake in thought when I was hallucinating, that maybe I didn’t interpret the world around me correctly. I don’t hear voices telling me to do this and that. And I don’t see visions or hallucinations (that will be left for another post). So I think, well it was just some mistake in thought. And that’s dangerous. Because then I would think that I don’t need to take medication. That in fact I can beat this on my own just by focusing more.

Indeed, it is not a matter of focus. A delusion has the same underlying cause as a hallucination. This neurotransmitter Dopamine that is being secreted in large quantities in a region of the brain. In fact psychotic, I am hyper active. I talk fast. Walk a lot. Feel all this energy and get excited about everything. Meanwhile my brain is in overdrive.

Yes some people manage symptoms on their own without medication. But understanding that medication can have a big effect and solve and stop delusions from happening has been key to my recovery.

Indeed, for the five years I have taken medication steady I didn’t have another psychotic episode. And for the past two years since I got back on medication, I didn’t have a psychotic episode. So if you had psychosis, don’t think you will beat this just by focus and stopping mistakes in thought from happening. Get help. It helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment